Re: How to install Octave binary for Windows

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: How to install Octave binary for Windows
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:22:05 +0100

On 2 April 2014 15:18, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
The latest precompiled official version of octave for Windows is 3.6.4, available from the link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/

The latest version 3.8.0, with the new GUI, has not yet been 'released' for Windows. but there is an unofficial build here:
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows#Octave_3.8_MXE_Builds

If you don't want to deal with the MS Visual Studio installer, you can install the MinGW version, which is a bit more of a manual process:

"Octave 3.6.4 for Windows MinGW installer"

there are two zipped files in that folder (7z zips, you may need to download a program that can handle that format, such as at http://www.7-zip.org)

Create an Octave folder on the C: drive. then unzip both of those files to that folder. that will recreate the program folder for Octave and Octave packages.

There will be shortcuts in that folder to start Octave and open the Octave documents. You can copy those shortcuts to your desktop. You may need to right click on them and edit Properties so they point to your C:/Octave folder

Last, you should enable the packages. This can be done by starting octave and running the following commands:
pkg rebuild -auto
pkg rebuild -noauto ad
pkg rebuild -noauto nan
pkg rebuild -noauto gsl
pkg rebuild -auto java

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Terje <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi.

I want to run Octave on my Windows 7 machine.
>From where can I download such a binary and associated step-by-step guidance
to achieve this ?
I do not have Visual Studio, but I simply want to run the Octave executable
(testing MATLAB scripts).
I will appreciate guidance to this matter.

Regards Terje