Re: maybe (?) dumb question ...

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: maybe (?) dumb question ...
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:26:49 -0700 (PDT)

Ozzy Lash wrote
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM, James Sherman Jr. <

> shermanjj@

> >wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <
>>

> dieter.jurzitza@

>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear listmembers,
>>> say, I would like to open a file within a certain directory I am in. So
>>> start typing (in the "octave" window)
>>>
>>> infile=fopen("
> <TAB-key>
>>>
>>> because, for some dumb reason, I forgot the name of the file (and, let
>>> me
>>> tell
>>> you, this issue becomes more and more serious the older one becomes
>>> ;-)).
> <snip>
>>
>> As far as I know, the tab key is not context sensitive. So I believe that
>> the the 1644 are all the commands that are in the file path?  At least
>> that
>> is my best guess.  I believe that tab-completion is a bit smarter on
>> linux/apple machines, but is pretty naive on windows.  I could be wrong
>> about that.

It's not so bad on Windows, see below

> Did you try
>
> infile=fopen("./
> <TAB>
> instead?  This worked for me with an old (really old) version of octave on
> solaris.  In a directory with 2 files, without the ./ I got "Display all
> 630 possibilities" but with the ./ it listed the 2 possibilities.  looking
> at the 630 possibilities, it seems they are all the possible functions and
> variables.

At least on Windows (but I expect it works on Linux as well), if you type a
few first letters of the desired file name, tab completion works more or
less as expected and filters file names starting with those letters.
I have to press TAB twice, but at least it works.

Philip