RE: Is this correct?

From: Macy
Subject: RE: Is this correct?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 05:56:29 -0700

Actually, an excellent description. it's, as you said, like 'multiplying' the
frequency because the starting point keeps 'scooting' forward. Dryer rack
allegory eludes me, but the rung [starting point] moving forward caught. ;)

Not sure but from memory frequency is a 'convenient interim term' and is
defined as dphase/dt, so always go back to that basic. Then, it becomes obvious
that the t.^2 term ends up adding 2 times multiplier.

CONCLUSION is "don't do ANYTHING by inspection." and, of course, verify,
verify, verify.

Now I have to go reconcile what happens when the frequency stops at the end:
sig=sin(2*pi()*1e6*(300+100*[0:N/2-1]/N));
and by that erroneous inspection the 'frequency' looks like it ramps up to
350MHz and then stays there, but as shown earlier the frequency ramps up to
400MHz, then what? snaps back to 350MHz for the last half of the time packet.
Arrggg! feel like Calvin and Hobbes, ...brain will explode.

At least out of all this, I've explored some new 'windowing' functions. like
splitting the hanning window:
N=100000;
filt=hanning(10000)';
nuwindow=[filt(1:5000),ones(1,90000),filt(5001:end)];
% normalize to area = 1
nuwindow=nuwindow*N/sum(nuwindow);
sigfilt=sig.*nuwindow;

makes for an impressive fft display.