Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

Please do *not* email me or any other developer privately; there's a help
list for Octave that is meant for this type of questions.
Read on...

address@hidden wrote
>> I have read this discussion
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-java-package-and-xlsread-td4630893.html
>>
>> I uninstalled octave and re installed along with the java jdk 1.8.0
>> I have set the JAVA_HOME path
>> I could not understand how to install apache POI and while installing
>> the java package 1.2.9  i m
>> getting error that every .m  been shadows a core library function
>> Please help me

To be able to help you, we need more info than you gave above.

What operating system & version (Linux, Mac OSX, Windows 7 or Windows 8,
......)

What Octave version (3.6.4? 3.8.0? .....?). Where did you get it from?

What io package version?

Exactly what error messages? (verbatim copy please)

>From your description I suspect that you used the Octave 3.8.0 or 3.8.1
windows binary from ...osuv.de, which TTBOMK has no built-in Java support.
If I'm right, that would mean you're simply out of luck, period.
Installing the Java package doesn't help, au contraire, it'll only add
trouble as you see.
For  Apache POI a windows binary installer for Octave-3.8.x is required that
does have Java support built-in. That still isn't publicly available. Until
then you'd have to make do with the available Octave 3.6.4 installers.
(All of this only if I'm right, of course.)

BTW I'll be away for a week (conference). Hopefully someone else on this
list is able to help you further.

Philip