Re: octave parallel package

From: c.
Subject: Re: octave parallel package
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:03:10 +0200

On 25 Jun 2014, at 12:20, Rui Miguel Soares Pereira <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to migrate from matlab on my PC to octave in a computer cluster.
> To take advantage of this cluster I was thinking to use the parallel package.
> Once it is installed, how do I take advantage of this, for instance using the
> eig
> function? Do I have to rewritte the code or is there some instructions to
> include
> in my code in such a way that the cluster "knows" this eig function is to
> take advantage
> of having more than 1 CPU?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> regards,
> rui

Only code you write yourself using functions from the package will be indeed
parallel.

Depending on how your cluster is configured, you may (or may not) find it more
beneficial
to use the package 'mpi' rather than 'parallel'.

In any case, the 'eigs' function performance will not be affected in any way by
installing either 'parallel' or 'mpi' package.

c.