Re: Mac - problem with plotting

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Mac - problem with plotting
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:39:45 -0400

On Jul 8, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Andrew Gibb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to plot. I've just installed Octave using Homebrew on Mac OS
> Mavericks. If I do:
>
> > x = linspace(0,5);
> > plot(x, sin(x))
>
> I get
>
> gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420  font "*,6"
> dashlength 1
>                      ^
>         line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal'
> for a list
>
> However,
> octave:3> set terminal
> error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
> error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument
>
> Which I guess is not what I should see.
>
> It is suspicious that the error message begins "set terminal aqua"
> irrespective of the value of GNUTERM. The result is the same for GNUTERM set
> to qt, aqua, or X11.
>
> The results are the same in the gui, or running Octave from a terminal prompt.
>
> I have installed aquaterm via the dmg from sourceforge, and homebrew has
> picked up the gnuplot dependency.
>
> Any ideas what's wrong here?
>
> Thanks

It is likely that either your gnuplot was not compiled to plot using MacOS Aqua
interface, or the Aquaterm libraries are not where gnuplot expects to find
them.  It is generally a good idea to build and install Octave and all its
dependencies using Hombrew (including Aquaterm, and Gnuplot. However, since
there is no Homebrew Aquaterm formula, you may be out of luck there).

In any event, I realize you've said that GNUTERM has no effect, but you didn't
say what you did.

Please try the following commands from Octave's command line.

        close all
        set GNUTERM x11
        plot (rand (3))

Also, there is good chance that the FLTK toolkit is supported. To find out, run
Octave via the command line (this will not work from the GUI) and try ...

        close all
        graphics_toolkit fltk
        plot (rand (3))

Ben