Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:56:51 +0200

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM, inertialwave <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have evaluated some of the serial data reading options mentioned in my
> prior email.
>
> I used a serial device streaming data for 10 seconds at 500 lines/sec. with
> 15 bytes/line using 115200 baud rate. The lines were read in and written to
> a log file one line at a time. The device is capable of a wired (USB)
> connection or a Bluetooth 4.0 classic connection.
>
> Wired (Real) COM Port
> Case 0: Python w/ PySerial module:  all 75000 characters received and logged
> with no misses.
>            (The Python script was called in an Octave system command: e.g.,
> system("python readCOM.py"));
>
> Case 1: Octave only; the Python script was replaced using Octave fopen and
> fread commands
>             The first lines were read and then a quantity of lines were
> missed (<200) and after that all lines
>              were read reliably without misses
>
> Case 2: Octave serialport:  the Python script was replaced using serialport
> serial and spread
>             There were some initial warnings about sockets setup and a few
> lost lines initially otherwise misses
>             1 line after ~1.5sec
>
> Virtual (Bluetooth) COM Port
> Case 0: Python: Successfully opens virtual COM port: No misses
>
> Case 1: Failed: [fid, msg]=fopen('\\.\COM24','rb') -> fid=-1 , msg= invalid
> arugment
>            (previously msg= Permission denied; not sure what changed)
>
> Case 2: Successfully opens virtual COM port but not usable; suffers multiple
> failures throughout 10 secs.
>
> Python batch processing and is superior when streaming analysis of the data
> in Octave is not needed
> Octave is simpler than Octave/serialport for real (wired) COM ports.
> Octave/serialport was not useable for virtual (Bluetooth) COM ports.
> Iinstrument-control was not evaluated; I don't otherwise need cygwin
>
> My hope is that someone can help me find a valid argument using fopen for
> virtual COM ports so
> I can simply use native Octave for streaming analysis of real time serial
> device data.
>

> --

Hi,
Your tests are really interesting and much needed! What is the chance
that you can help fixing instrument-control?
Also, I do not understand why you test in Windows if you are going to
deploy in Raspian. Would it make more sens to test in Debian directly?

My experience with instrument-control in linux is quite good. Also
check the code in instrument-control (C,C++), remember that you can
start hacking from there and reuse the code.

Cheers