out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type

From: mtalberg
Subject: out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 15:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hello

I am having an issue with the amount of memory Octave can use compared to
the available memory on my system. I am running on Window's 7 64-bit, 16GB
of RAM, and have GNU Octave version 3.8.2, configured for
"i686-w64-mingw32".

I saw this error after trying to write a 9329664x2 matrix to a .wav file
using the wavwrite command.

I monitor the memory usage of my computer as a whole, and have determined
that Octave is only using roughly 500MB of RAM. Is there any way to boost
the amount of RAM accessible by Octave? Any help would be greatly
appreciated, thank you!