Memory control

From: João Rodrigues
Subject: Memory control
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:21:12 +0100

I need to functions which, when applied to large objects, require more memory than that available and the system freezes. (It's the csv2cell function for file input, but I guess this situation is more general.)

I wonder if there is some function that can get information about the amount of RAM available and that currently used by Octave so that the program aborts if its memory requirements exceed a certain threshold.

Suggestions are welcome.