Re: installation of symbolic package

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: installation of symbolic package
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 10:50:40 -0400

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 15:01:26 +0200, Maximilian Nentwich wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install the symbolic package to try and use something similar
> to matlabs 'syms'.

Please be aware that the symbolic package for Octave does exist, but
is not well maintained, and may not fully implement the functions that
you are looking for.

> I just started using octave so I don't know much about it. I found out I
> have to get the CLN and GiNaC packages.
> Trying to install the cln file i get
>> pkg install -forge cln
> error: get_forge_pkg: package not found: "cln" Maybe you meant "control?"
> With the other command I tried it doen't work either
>> pkg install cln-1.3.3.tar.bz2
> package is missing file: DESCRIPTION

These are not Octave packages, these are external libraries that the
symbolic package relies on. The symbolic package expects that you are
able to download, compile, and install these libraries yourself. If
you don't know how to do that (and on Windows I would expect it to be
much less straightforward), you might have trouble getting further.

> I am using octave 3.6.4 on windows.

Are you aware of the current version 3.8.2, available for Windows at
http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/?

Are you aware of OctSymPy [1], [2]? I haven't tried it myself, but it
may be closer to what you want.

 [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2014-08/msg00226.html
 [2] https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases

--