Re: Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 09:33:49 -0400

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 21:05:36 +1100, Terry Duell wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'm not sure if I have a local problem or am seeing a bug. I have snooped
> through the bug list but may have missed it.
> I have built octave-3.8.2 on Fedora 20 x86_64, by rebuilding
> octave-3.8.2-4.el7.src.rpm in mock using rpmbuild.
> If I select the documentation tab in the gui it displays all the section
> headings but none are selectable and the whole gui locks up, and a forced
> quit is required.
> Any other Fedora 20 users, or others, seen this behaviour, or can advise if
> it is a known bug?

Hi Terry, this is a known bug due to distributions compressing the
Texinfo files. Please see bug #38305 (which has an arcane description
but is the underlying cause) [1]. Short of fixing that bug, the only
workaround for now is to uncompress the info files.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38305

--
mike