Re: meaning of matrix operation A(B)

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: meaning of matrix operation A(B)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:03:20 -0700 (PDT)

kankan wrote
> Dear all,
>
> I have two matrix A and B. Size of A is 512x1 and size of B is 132x108.
> There is an operation in octave: A(B). Output of this operation is a
> matrix 132x108. What is the name of this operation and what does it is
> doing. Actualy I want to know the algorithm of this operation and want to
> use in fortran.

Kankan, I understand your confusion. What you see here is a very basic
thing:
the operation is just "indexing"; in fact it is even "linear indexing".

In the Octave on-line manual, read up on indexing:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Index-Expressions.html
or here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming_Tutorial/Vectors_and_matrices

Philip