Re: Octave with Mac OS X and Fink seems slow

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Octave with Mac OS X and Fink seems slow
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 07:36:25 -0800

On 11/9/14, 6:43 AM, Michael Pender wrote:
I agree that the question about modifying the Fink package should be
taken to the Fink mailing lists.  To get to the essence of my question
though, if there are compiler optimization settings that are necessary
for clang on the Mac OS X to run well compared to gcc -- there seems to
be a big performance sensitivity change -- then how can I set compiler
flags so that external C++ routines linked into Octave through the
mkoctfile interface are optimized properly?

I've tried setting options in .bashrc and it did not seem to help.  I
think the .bashrc options are ignored under certain circumstances when
the compiler/linker are invoked by the GUI, possibly using the system
shell instead of bash.  My attempts to research this on my own suggest
that I need to set CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables somewhere that will be
invoked by the GUI and or CLI Octave clients, but I am not sure where
and how to set those variables.

Transitioning from Octave on Linux to the Mac OS X has been a steeper
learning curve than I expected because of the transition from gcc to clang.

Thanks, Mike

Fink deliberately overrides user environment settings, because our goal is to have people's packages always build the same way on a given platform. This would also apply when you install Octave Forge packages with Fink.

Octave hardcodes the *FLAGS with which it was built into mkoctfile. I don't happen to know whether these can be overridden via environment variables for manual installs of packages--my Octave packaging does support "pkg install ...", though not all packages will build correctly without patching.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison