On interpreting views of Fourier Transforms

From: isoparix
Subject: On interpreting views of Fourier Transforms
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 06:57:47 -0700 (PDT)

Question on Fourier transforms:

If I take a simple rectangular bar image,
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4672032/rectangle_500x7.jpg>
and engineer an FT via ImageAnalyser
(http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/index.htm), I get an FT

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4672032/classic_FFT_of_bar.png>

that conforms to what I read in the literature.   See for instance,  page 15
of
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~az/lectures/ia/lect2.pdf
<http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~az/lectures/ia/lect2.pdf>

Octave produces something very different.

My question is, are we all talking at cross-purposes here?   I'm sure
Octave's understanding of FFT cannot be utterly different to everyone
else's.  And the Octave FFT certainly, using 'ifft', transforms exactly back
to the original image, *but* why doesn't Octave's FFT look like the FFT
produced by Image Analyser, or described in the Oxford lectures in the PDF,
or in other literature?

What am I misinterpreting?   Thank you.

To see what Octave does, try:

%Import image
origimage = imread('rectangle_500x7','jpg');
%Plot image
figure, imagesc(origimage)
axis square
colormap gray