Re: Oct files run in Octave version 3.6.4 or 4.0.0 but not both

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Oct files run in Octave version 3.6.4 or 4.0.0 but not both
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 09:21:39 +0200

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:16:20AM -0700, babelproofreader wrote:
> I have two versions of Octave installed, version 3.6.4 installed via the
> package manager (Linux Mint Debian), and version 4.0.0 compiled from source.
> I also have numerous .oct files in a folder pointed to in an .octaverc file.
> My problem is that the version 4.0.0 cannot "see" these .oct files and if I
> try to call them the whole session crashes unless I recompile them under
> 4.0.0 with mkoctfile. However, doing this means that the version 3.6.4
> cannot "see" them and trying to call them gives an error message
>
> failed to load: liboctinterp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> How can I get both versions to recognize my .oct functions without hoving to
> recompile them each time?

Adding some practical advise to Mikes answer (is in different thread),
if you want to install your files system-wide, a good candidate
directory for the differently compiled oct-files seems to be

fullfile (OCTAVE_HOME (), "lib/octave/site/oct/",
          octave_config_info ("canonical_host_type"))

assuming OCTAVE_HOME () is different for each of your Octave
versions. This directory seems to be in the path by default.

If not system-wide, you could check OCTAVE_VERSION () in your
.octaverc and set the path differently for each version.

Olaf