Re: Perfromance problem running multiple copies of Octave on a multicore

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: Perfromance problem running multiple copies of Octave on a multicore processor
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:54:38 +0000

Hi Olaf and Mike,

Thank you both for your help. I have now worked out in more detail
what has been happening to cause anomalous performance between Octave
3.8.2 and Octave 4.0.0 in my signal processing system:

     Octave 3.8.2 and earlier releases, with the supplied openblas
     and lapack, only ever used a single thread, whether by design
     or accident and whatever value (or none) at all was set for
         OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS

    This was changed/fixed in Octave 4.0.0.

I did not find any reference to this change in the documentation, and
it may be worth adding a few lines in news to explain this.

Cheers... Ian