Re: Building on OS X

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: Re: Building on OS X
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:42:50 +0100

Dear Sebastian,

took a while for me to be able to look at this again.

> I am rather sure that your problem has nothing to do with odepkg but
> with you installation of octave. How you compile octave 4.0.0? You may
> want to look at lines 171-177 in
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/blob/master/octave.rb

I compiled octave (and every OSS package I use, thus all its dependences
also) manually (no macports, homebrew, nor fink). No additional
configure switches aside from --prefix were used.

I did not think your suggestion would affect the problem I reported,
nonetheless I compiled again making the configure edit on those recipe
lines; nothing changes (same error).

The problem is caused by a combination of two factors:
1) In OS X < 10.9, unless --with-blas is specified for a different BLAS
   implementation, BLAS_LIBS will include "-framework vecLib". This can
   be checked by using "mkoctfile -p BLAS_LIBS". (From OS X 10.9 onwards,
   vecLib was subsituted by Accelerate framework, and ax_blas.m4 in
   octave-4.0.0 does not look for it automatically).
2) odepkg-0.8.5/src/Makefile already added BLAS_LIBS to LFLAGS in lines
   23-29, so passing them again as command line arguments in line 55 is
   wrong. In most cases, this does no harm (flags will appear twice on
   compiler command line, but nothing more) but due to mkoctfile
   unrecognized parameter passing logic (i.e. pass it to compiler if
   starting with "-", fail otherwise) will pass "-framework" to compiler
   and fail on "vecLib".

I think the patch is valid.

>> diff -r odepkg-0.8.5.old/src/Makefile odepkg-0.8.5/src/Makefile
>> 55,56c55
>> <       LFLAGS="$(LFLAGS)" $(MKOCTFILE) $(SOLVEROBJECTS) -o
>> $(SOLVEROCTFILE) \
>> <         $(LAPACK_LIBS) $(FLIBS)
>> ---
>> >       LFLAGS="$(LFLAGS)" $(MKOCTFILE) $(SOLVEROBJECTS) -o
>> >       $(SOLVEROCTFILE)

BR

Carlos

--
-Los sueños se van desechando y los que quedan se dejan para después -dijo don
Diego, más para sí que para Mirko-. Si uno no se pone a la tarea de realizarlos,

Jorge Franco, "El mundo de afuera" (2011)