Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:38:16 -0800

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:17:04 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Just ran into this last night. not sure if there's a good workaround:
>
> At work I run Octave on a laptop with a docking station and a 2-screen
> setup.  Working yesterday, I had the main Octave GUI on the main screen and
> the editor undocked over on the second monitor.  closed octave, undocked
> the laptop, went home.
>
> Opened up Octave later with just the laptop screen, and couldn't find or
> get to the editor window. I selected the Reset Default Window Layout
> option, and the editor reappeared as a Tab behind the command window.
> Undocking it again, it went back to the same unreachable off-screen
> position. Came back into work again this morning, undock the editor,
> grabbed it from the second screen and moved it back to the first one.
>
> can avoid it now, but is this an issue with the Octave GUI or just
> unavoidable when shutting down/reopening with different monitor
> configurations?

Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
mouse place it anywhere.

--
mike