Re: audio signal processing

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: audio signal processing
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:30:36 -0500

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Doc <address@hidden> wrote:
I was looking at matlab to do some audio signal processing, but found it to
be very expensive, and someone recommended octive.
ive seen some of the processing capabilities that matlab has and was
wondering if octive has the same capabilities ?
I'm sure it will take some time to learn but I don't want to waste a lot of
time, if it will not do what I need it to do. and could use someone familiar
with its capabilities in these regards to speak with to determine if it will
work.
thanks for any time you can spare.
peace hope love
Doc

perhaps if you could be a bit more specific with the capabilities you're looking to use?  On matlab, were you referring to the DSP toolbox, the Signal processing toolbox, etc?  Are there particular functions you expect to need to perform? I think the DSP toolbox also has dedicated audio streaming capabilities in place in addition to the actual signal processing.

Octave has a number of packages that create similar functionality to many of the toolboxes, or at least compatible functions to enable the same type of algorithm programming. But not everything that Matlab can do has been emulated in Octave. So with a few more specifics, people may be able to better answer your question.

Also, if you want to browse the package and function reference yourself, you can look here:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php

Nick J.