Re: Camera Calibration in Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Camera Calibration in Octave
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:00:18 -0500

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Khan Mohammad Al Farabi <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have attached the images. I would like to implement following operations from the images:

1. I would like to pick sufficient number of data points from the rig images to estimate the camera parameters.
2. I would like to pick the image points of the calibration rig manually. For this purpose, I would like to write a GUI interface which will allow me to click on these points and have them saved in a file which I can then process.

3. Then  I would like to do the numerical calculations to estimate the camera parameters: (a) intrinsic parameters, and (b) extrinsic parameters.

4. Then an error analysis using these estimated camera parameters, reproject the known 3D grid points from the calibration rig onto the image. Then I want to analyze the errors between the original image coordinates I have used to do the calibration and the reprojected points in the image. I also want to compute statistics of these errors. Also want to look and see if there are certain trends in the errors.

Here I am not considering lens distortion. therefore skew s=0

Is it possible to implement this Octave or Matlab without toolbox. If possible then help me please.

Thanks for all the details, someone with more image processing familiarity may be able to provide more direct insight, but I think most of what you propose should definitely be possible with Octave.  The only part that I think might give problems is the GUI selection portion. There is similar capability regarding the underlying mathematics with Matlab and Octave, but Octave's graphical interface functions are not quite as polished.

Nick J.