Re: Symmetric Matrices: time and space efficient represenation

From: JuanPi
Subject: Re: Symmetric Matrices: time and space efficient represenation
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:53:19 +0100

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:
> There is a function vech to store symmetric matrices in a space-efficient
> way. I don't know if this form can be used directly for operations with the
> matrices.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Rearranging-Matrices.html#XREFvech

Thanks Nir, yes, vech and unvec are used in the mechanics package to
do this, but it isn't optiomized so speed gains are minimal.
In a way it is quite easy to do symm. matrix-vector in Octave because
is an index problem and then a re-arrange, but I wanted ot chek if
somebody already implemented it. It seems the Eigen3 library has it.

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF