What is best way to trigger Octave via ethernet?

From: Vision
Subject: What is best way to trigger Octave via ethernet?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 07:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hey,

My project is about an Octave program that needs to run (without delay) when
triggered by a Siemens PLC via ethernet.
Now I'm wondering what the best way is to achieve this.

I'm able to read data from the Siemens PLC using an .oct function that I
created, but the drawback is that I need to call it everytime in a loop to
check if some parameter changed (trigger), this is looks for me like
unnecessary network traffic.

Now this is what I've in my mind.
I'm able to send TCP packets from the PLC to a specific IP and port.
Is there an option in octave to listen to this specific port and get
triggered when data is transferred. I also think that avoiding a loop is
better?

Thank you