Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:31:35 +0200

Le 19/04/2016 09:00, Sebastian a écrit :
In any event, I also experienced an unexpected lack of “enthusiasm”. Mostly because the Mac OS X users in Octave’s community are happy with homebrew, fink, or macpots.. However, I’ve come to expect there are a large number of potential user for an app-bundle who are students with short term needs and are not privy the the octave community. I expect a reliable app-bundle would get a lot of use and would bring a lot of value, and would like to offer encouragement for your continued effort.
Thanks.

I think this is a VERY good point.

I started this thread for this exact reason : I had a student with a Mac and she wanted to get started with Octave 4.0.1 quickly  (to be clear: I am not a Mac user myself).

All I could find was the wiki page (http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X) and the instructions there are pretty scary for a student with no familiarity with Fink, MacPorts or Homebrew (not to mention little familiarity with the shell...).

This is a situation that I have met repeatedly these last few years. Anything more complicated than any of these:

is too complicated for many (most ?) students.

Just my two cents.  Unfortunately, as I said, I am not a Mac user, so I can't help with the testing...

@++
Julien