RE: Target Motion Analysis - Geometry Pkg

From: John Guin
Subject: RE: Target Motion Analysis - Geometry Pkg
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 12:18:47 -0700

This is a problem that would make the most sense to sailors on submarines.

Specifically, a (passive: listening only) sonar system can get a bearing to
a target.  This bearing is usually fairly accurate.  Under some conditions,
it can also get a good guess at range.  This number is much less precise.

You also know the speed and course of your submarine.

As your relative positions change over time, the task is to figure out 3
things:
1. What course the target is on?
2. How fast is it moving?
3. How far away is it?

I couldn't get the code in the other branch of this thread to work
("createLines" is not a valid command in Octave for me) so I can't comment
on the solution offered there.  But the basic problem is trying to work out
the course, speed and range of a ship that you can only hear.

John