Re: Build Octave Without GUI

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Build Octave Without GUI
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 07:07:59 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 04:31:17 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 05/16/2016 04:03 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>

> > What is your intention for building octave from  source without gui?
> >

> I prefer to run octave in an xterm, with the -e option
>

> /usr/bin/xterm -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc -bg white -fg black\
>  -geometry 80x55 -e octave &
>
> I normally have an alias to do this.

You can still install the Octave binary package from the Ubuntu
repositories and set up your alias to run octave-cli instead of octave
and get the same results as if you had built with --without-qt, if
that's your only reason.

If you prefer to build Octave yourself, or want to run a patched or
development version, that's a reason to build from source also.

--
mike