Re: octave-4.0.3 64 bit binaries for windows

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: octave-4.0.3 64 bit binaries for windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:33:35 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: DavidCoe
> To: help-octave> Cc:
> Date: 2016/7/13, Wed 22:14
> Subject: Re: octave-4.0.3 64 bit binaries for windows
>
>T hank for responding so quickly. An infected packaging tool would be really
> bad news, so it's best to play safe. So far, I have:
>
> 1. raw 7z archive: Windows Defender negative
> 2. extracted zip2exe (windows): Windows Defender positive, 13/51 VirusTotal
> positives
> 3. extracted zip2exe (linux VM): Windows Defender negative, 11/51 VirusTotal
> positives
> 4. mxe-rebuilt zip2exe (linux native): Windows Defender negative, 8/51
> VirusTotal positives
>
> The results are from 2 machines (dual-booted or virtual  OSs) and I'd be
> reluctant to believe the linuxen have system infections. Could you perhaps
> submit your local zip2exe to the on-line VirusTotal multi-scanner? Prebuilt
> 32bit versions don't trigger alerts.
>
> I'll resume exercising your (utterly heroic) 64bit octave and, once the
> mxe-octave repositories are back on-line, I might persevere  with my own
> local build.
>
> David
David

Thanks for your investigations ans reports.

I confirmed a positive alert using VirusTotal on my linux PC (ubuntu 14.04)
*before* treating on MS-Windows.
I am stopping distribution of binaries at the moment.

The infection is limited to the zip2exe.exe so I will omit share/nsis folder,
which is not related to octave execution, from the 7z archive.

For installer I have to manage packaging script I will take for a while.

Tatsuro