How to create static library (.a file) that can reference mex C library

From: Cesar V. Ramirez
Subject: How to create static library (.a file) that can reference mex C library API
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 06:00:33 -0700

I'm interested in creating a static library that can reference the libraries it needs to #import "mex.h" and use the Mex C library api in that project....  I want to access functions like mxGetNumberOfFields, mxCreateString, mexErrMsgTxt, etc.

Is that possible?

Ideally I'd want to do that from an Xcode project, but if it's necessary to do via a makefile or something that would be fine too.

Any procedures or references would be great.  If sending makefile example, please note that I want to also use objective-c source files.  I have zero experience with makefiles and would probably have no clue how to add that...

thanks in advance!
Cesar