Re: Octave 4.2.0 io 2.4.5 windows 7 excel .xlsx

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.0 io 2.4.5 windows 7 excel .xlsx
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:06:19 -0800 (PST)

Yucker wrote
> Hi there,
>
> I have troubles reading my script which I created with Octave 3.8.1. It
> worked fine only with the packages io and windows. I'm sorry if I ask any
> stupid questions because I'm a newby to Octave....
>
> After installing Octave 4.2.0 on a windows 7 (german) computer, it seems
> that the xlsread command doesn't work anymore.

... "anymore" ?
Did it work before?

> here is a list of the packages after using the command >>pkg rebuild:
>>> pkg list
> Package Name         | Version | Installation directory
> ---------------------+---------+-----------------------
>      communications  |   1.2.1 |
> C:\Octave\Octave\share\octave\packages\communications-1.2.1
>             control  |   3.0.0 |
> <snip>
>                  io *|   2.4.5 |
> C:\Octave\Octave\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.5

Yep, loaded allright

> <snip>
> the error messages:
> error: @col2num: no function and no method found

Looks like the binary parts of the io package didn't get installed properly.
col2num() is a compiled module rather than an .m function file.

One way to fix it is to re-install the io package, e.g., by

pkg install -forge io

Be advised that there are two bugs not yet fixed in io-2.4.5, see
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49656
and
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49579

so you'd have to manually apply the relevant fixes after installing io.

Philip