newby q: cannot install control package

From: freebelvin
Subject: newby q: cannot install control package
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:18:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Greetings from a Matlab refugee,

Longtime Matlab user, I have just shifted to Octave (to save $ at a small
company I just joined).

First, I downloaded Octave 4.0.3 to my laptop, 64-bit Windows 10 Toshiba.  This
installed perfectly.

Second, I attempted to install the control package, several ways, with no
success.  My error messages are shown below:

First method
============

>> pkg install -forge control
error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection
error: called from
    get_forge_pkg at line 77 column 7
    get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
    pkg at line 393 column 29

Second method
=============

>> pkg install control-3.0.0.tar.gz
make: C:/Program: Command not found
make: Entering directory `/tmp/oct-VDJ2TK/control/src'
make: C:/Program: Command not found
make: C:/Program: Command not found
make: C:/Program: Command not found
make: C:/Program: Command not found
/bin/sh: C:/Program: No such file or directory
make: *** [slicotlibrary.a] Error 127
tar -xzf slicot.tar.gz
mkdir sltmp
mv slicot/src/*.f ./sltmp
mv slicot/src_aux/*.f ./sltmp
cp TG04BX.fortran ./sltmp/TG04BX.f
cp TB01ZD.fortran ./sltmp/TB01ZD.f
cd sltmp; C:/Program Files/Octave/octave-4.0.3/bin/mkoctfile-4.0.3.exe -c *.f
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-VDJ2TK/control/src'

pkg: error running `make' for the control package.
error: called from 'configure_make' in file C:\Program
Files\Octave\octave-4.0.3\
share\octave\4.0.3\m\pkg\private\configure_make.m near line 96, column 9

Third idea
==========

I have tried to research this subject.  I read that the control package used to
be part of the Octave release but then got pulled out into an external product.
 But, I notice that my 4.0.3 install appears to have a fully populated control
folder out there on my disk.  Is there some way to get Octave to realize that
and start using it?

Fourth idea

If some earlier Octave release can get me going, I'd be willing to switch
versions.  I just want the package to run, does not have to be the latest
greatest.

Would anyone have an idea how to resolve this, by any method?  Thanks, thanks,
thanks, for your helpful suggestions!

Sincerely,