Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

From: Michael Metts
Subject: Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 10:02:51 -0800

ok.  i’m doing a test build now.  i’ll download 4.2.1 and try the same
techniques on that.  i looked at the Sundails site the other day and like Ozzy
suggested it looks as though the Sundails I have from EPEL was compiled without
the IDAKLU switch … even though i thought i read that it was the default.  i
was tempted to build Sundials myself but maybe i’ll leave well enough alone at
this point.

i would like to help out but i’m so terribly green at build/make and such.
it’s been years since i actually programmed in C or C++ … or even Fortran so
i’d be embarrassed at the results i’d get with any serious mucking about with a
build such as this.

i would be open to being an ignorant build tester, though.  we are likely to
focus on RHEL and AIX here at my firm indefinitely.  we have a lot of PhD,
Finance and Econ folks that want and expect Matlab … but we’d rather not run it
on RHEL.  it’s expensive enough on Windows.  it’s possible that some RHEL
Octave build here could become “mission critical” for some analysis in the
future.  but for now, it’s more about showing/proving that this is a great or
“good enough” alternative and the 48-core RHEL system will lure them in.

thanks for all your help.  with the above in mind, let me know what you
recommend re: me participating.