Re: Installing packages in GNU Octave

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Installing packages in GNU Octave
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:57:42 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Nicholas Jankowski
>To: ravi7kumar <ravikumar
>Cc: Help GNU Octave <address@hidden>
>Date: 2017/3/15, Wed 11:44
>Subject: Re: Installing packages in GNU Octave
>

>On Mar 14, 2017 10:40 AM, "ravi7kumar" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>>There is a problem in installing "control" package in GNU octave
>>If i type the command
>>
>>*pkg install -forge control-3.0.0.tar*

I have seen this kind of questions frequently.
I think that description of manual for pkg command leads to misleading.

>> help pkg

[snip]

     'install'
          Install named packages.  For example,

               pkg install image-1.0.0.tar.gz

          installs the package found in the file 'image-1.0.0.tar.gz'.

[snip]

          '-forge'

               Install a package directly from the Octave-Forge

               repository.  This requires an internet connection and the

               cURL library.

[snip]

In the example, install package form downloaded file but in the -forge option
only package name is required.

I think it is better to mention only package name required for -forge option
with
example

pkg install -forge image

Regards