Re: Octave 4.0.3: normxcorr2 producing unexpected result

From: Hartmut
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0.3: normxcorr2 producing unexpected result
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 12:30:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Oli,

the result of Octave's normxcorr2 (when using the previously mentioned patch
in [1]) is fully Matlab compatible, except for the outer two numbers on each
side. Where does your "expected result" come from? The values of normalized
correlation coefficients should stay between -1 and 1.

The remaining issue seems to only concern border pixels, you can follow the
discussion under [2] if you like.

Regarding the result max that you mentioned: I think this should be only due
to (inavoidable) numerical inaccuracies. By the way, the Matlab result of
your max command is the very same as Octave's for your example.

So I can't "feel" a major bug here, any more. Only the (minor problem) of
the border pixels remains, and it is taken care of in [2].

So, have fun with Octave in your Udacity course. (By the way, your Udacity
link is login protected, I cannot read it.)

     Hartmut

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50122
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50151