Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:38:14 -0400

On 04/13/2017 03:03 AM, roland65 wrote:
Hi,

on Windows, Octave 4.2.x + all packages are available in one big zip archive
or exe install. So, it's straightforward to install the whole thing.

On Linux, I didn't find any place to download Octave 4.2.x + all packages.
Distributions like Debian or Ubuntu still provide 4.0.x and individual
packages.

So, I believe we should have the same facility as in Windows to install the
latest Octave + packages in one single binary archive, just like LibreOffice
or Mozilla Firefox.

Does it make sense to you? Is it feasible (I guess there should be library
compatibility issues)?

As others have noted, we think this is the wrong approach for Linux systems that have proper package management. If you are unhappy that your distribution doesn't provide updated packages for Octave, then it seems the proper thing to do is create them.

As others have also said, for systems like Windows that don't have proper package management systems, there is really no other alternative. But it's far from ideal, because then every application bundles dependencies.

Even so, I extended mxe-octave to allow native builds of Octave and all dependencies on Linux systems because a paying customer wanted what you want: a more or less self-contained binary distribution on systems that did not have the necessary dependencies. But there are many problems in trying to do this. So far, I've only managed to build a package like that for particular systems, not one that will run on any system. The client originally had RHEL 5 and SuSE 10 systems, now they have RHEL 6 and SuSE 11, so I build for those. If you are interested, I could help you do the same for the systems you use. Or maybe we could work more toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system. Contact me privately and we can discuss it further.

In any case, I'm not interested in doing that work as a volunteer, nor am I interested in distributing such a package officially from the Octave ftp site.

Currently, when building for Linux systems, mxe-octave builds nearly all dependencies except for the C library, OpenGL libraries and most X11 libraries. At one point I tried to build X11 and OpenGL libraries, but gave up when I realized that building OpenGL libraries was pointless if people were using the proprietary nvidia drivers and the nvidia OpenGL library.

I think the better thing to do might be a docker instance, but then I think you can just end up installing another OS inside the one you are already running, which seems pretty silly. And that doesn't solve all problems for older systems anyway, because as I understand it, docker requires a sufficiently new kernel.

jwe