Re: Project Literature Review

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Project Literature Review
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

Jason Shady wrote
> How are you Sir/Madam?
>
> My name is Jason Shivute a student at the International University of
> Management . i'm currently doing my 4th year in Business Information
> Systems, which requires me to develop a working system/Application to
> graduate.
>
> I have chosen to develop a mathematical application and therefor i'm doing
> a literature review on your application Octave.
>
> i plead that you please send me documentation of the application that
> outlines what methodologies and challenges you encountered during
> development.
>
> yours faithfully
>
> Jason Shivute

Dear Jason Shivute,

To me it is not very clear what you are looking for. There is some
information about the project infrastructure [1] and Octave's comprehensive
test suite [2] to avoid regression errors and alike. Current and past
challenges are not really documented. Some generic ones are:

* stay compatible with twice a year releasing Matlab versions,
* adopt progress in the used programming languages (C++11) and tools (qt 5,
gcc 7, python 3, ...), and
* respond to the many bug reports and feature requests.

There are for sure a lot items to add to cope with 25 years of development.

HTH, Kai

[1]: http://wiki.octave.org/Project_Infrastructure
[2]: http://wiki.octave.org/Tests