Re: How to build static version of Octave

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: How to build static version of Octave
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:04:27 -0700 (MST)

shamikam wrote
> Hello,
>
> I'm building Octave on Ubuntu 14.04 using the following flags-
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/octave --disable-docs --enable-shared
> --enable-dl --without-opengl --without-framework-carbon
> --without-framework-opengl --without-java --without-qt --without-zlib
>
> I want to build Octave liboctave and liboctinterp files to which my C++
> code will link against on any machine without having to worry about
> dependencies. I don't require docs or GUI for my code to work.
>
> When I try to run my code on another machine using Ubuntu 16.04, I see
> errors related to different versions of dependent libraries. How do I
> build
> static version of Octave so that it will run on any Linux system? I would
> like the liboctave and liboctinterp files to be as small as possible in
> terms of file size. If I should add/change flags, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Shamika

Dear Shamika,

Maybe you already know, but when you invoke `./configure --help` you get a
short description of all possible options.  So I think "--enable-shared
--enable-dl" is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve?
Shouldn't you configure using something like "--enable-static --disable-dl"?
I didn't compile myself this way, maybe just as a hint.

HTH,
Kai