Re: Glyphs of Fonts for Special Characters in Octave Fail

From: eric
Subject: Re: Glyphs of Fonts for Special Characters in Octave Fail
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 15:45:06 -0700

On 12/31/2017 03:29 PM, address@hidden wrote:
An alternate question...can anyone using the symbolic package correctly see then entire sqrt (radical) symbol from:
symx x
sqrt(x)
sqrt(1/x)
1/sqrt(x)
If "yes", which version of octave (and what operating system or distribution are  you using) and which font is used in your terminal window was used? I suppose a "no" answer with that same information would be useful. I'm wondering if there might be someone this works for, and if it does, what might be in common or different than my version.

I am running GNU Octave, version 4.0.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Here is what my command window looks like if I follow from above (substituting symx to syms :-) ) and copying and pasting into the email body.

>> pkg load symbolic
>> symx x
error: 'symx' undefined near line 1 column 1
>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.2.4: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 3694) might appear next.
Python 2.7.12 (default, Nov 20 2017, 18:23:56)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux2

OctSymPy: Communication established.  SymPy v0.7.6.1.
>> sqrt(x)
ans = (sym)

    ___
  ╲╱ x

>> sqrt(1/x)
ans = (sym)

      ___
     ╱ 1
    ╱  ─
  ╲╱   x

>> 1/sqrt(x)
ans = (sym)

    1
  ─────
    ___
  ╲╱ x

This is different that what my command window actually looks like. I attached a screen shot of what that looks like and you can see that the radical symbol only shows the horizontal portion and not the complete symbol. I am not sure why it shows up differently from a copy and paste.

Regards,

Eric