Re: Octave 4.4. on MacOS 10.12.6 with GUI anyone?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.4. on MacOS 10.12.6 with GUI anyone?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 07:57:56 -0700

> On Jun 27, 2018, at 07:35, Andrew Janke <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 6/27/18 10:29 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> On Jun 26, 2018, at 9:15 PM, AndrewJanke <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sebastian Schöps wrote
>>> A beta version of the macOS DMG is out:
>>> https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/download/untagged-4e9d0ab25492be932368/Octave-4.4.0-beta2.dmg
>>>
>>> Give that a try and let me know if you have any issues.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrew
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Have you looked into modifying the app to make it relocatable? i.e. able to
>> run from anywhere?
>>
>> Ben
> Hi Ben,
>
> I have. Unfortunately, that turns out to be quite difficult, because it
> depends on making builds of GCC and Qt (and all the other Octave
> dependencies) that are relocatable, which is no easy task, because they're
> not designed for that.
>
> Related issue: https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app-bundler/issues/2,
> which is a prerequisite for making Octave.app itself relocatable.
>
> Sorry.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

I have a script that will make an app and it’s libs relocatable. With a list of
all binaries, all the binaries, they may also be relocated. However if there
are any hard coded paths, it will not work (maybe shell scripts and such?).

I used it successfully in the past with Macports. I’ll dig up the script and
email it to you when I’m in front of my Mac.

Ben