Re: actx reading from IBA's .dat file

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: actx reading from IBA's .dat file
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:57:44 -0400

On 09/19/2018 07:19 AM, tomkut wrote:
I wonder if anyone would be able to help with using IBA's library for reading
their .dat files, created for matlab. When I run a simple example it throws
the below error:
error: com_invoke: property/method invocation on the COM object failed with
error `0x8002000e'

The error comes up when running a read data query.
So it looks like the matlab IBA library is linking to IBA's binary reader (a Windows COM shared library) that doesn't run in Octave. You could investigate what does the error mean (I've found some indication that it may have something to do with bad parameter count), but since there doesn't seem to be any source or documentation available from IBA, it may be difficult.

I would contact IBA and ask them for a recommendation---maybe they provide some specs or sample source code that you could use.

Alternatively, you could try to roll your own---the file seems to have an ascii header with what looks like metadata, followed by binary data section. I couldn't figure out the layout of the binary on a quick look, because I don't know what you put in your sample file---but you could create several short .dat files with known content (maybe one with one channel containing 10 values from 1 to 10, another one with one channel and values 1 to 20, then one with two channels containing 1 to 10 and 11 to 20) and see if you can see the pattern in the binary section.

It's easy to read the binary in octave using fopen("Test.dat",'r') and  d=fread(3,'*uint8'); so if they don't use some fancy compression or data structuring, it may end up being simple.