Re: Pkg install struct - octave 5.1 from flatpak, mint 18/ubuntu

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Re: Pkg install struct - octave 5.1 from flatpak, mint 18/ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 13:28:38 +0100

Am 06. März 2019 um 11:09 Uhr schrieb "Pavel Hofman"

The packages in the Windows installer are built from the released package
versions with the additional patches from the source I pointed to in the
previous mail.
Some (but afaik not all) of these patches are taken from the development
version of the respective packages.

I see, now I understand. Do you think the section https://wiki.octave.org/MXE "Compiling for your Linux system" will work for octave 5.1? I would like to use the patched packages in octave-mxe for the 5.1, instead of fighting each package individually.

I wonder why linux octave 5.1 from flatpak did not use these pre-compiled packages right away, perhaps they are not included in the flatpak or must be "linked" somehow?

In general, we don't care much about compatibility with previous Octave
versions for the bundled packages. This is probably more important for the
package developers.
That is fine for me, I need just working octave with working set of default packages on linux. My project will take a few months to complete and I do not want to code for an outdated octave version.

Thanks a lot,

Pavel.