Re: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:06:32 -0700

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 15:59:35 +0000, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> The Octave manual says "use a recent compiler".  Is GCC 4.8.5 deemed
> suitable for Octave and packages?  I've built Octave with it, but am
> having trouble with some packages.

Yes, GCC 4.8 is the oldest GCC that can build current Octave releases.
You built Octave, so the compiler is suitable.

> For example, the "mpi" package fails.  When I try building it
> manually, it has conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that
> the most recent mpi package is significantly older than the 4.4.1
> release, does this indicate that the mpi package hasn't been updated
> as Octave was, and requires an older release, like 3.8.2?

The mpi package is now being developed outside of Octave Forge, so you
can't install it with "pkg install -forge" now. Please take a look at
the latest package release announcement and try installing it again.

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2019-03/msg00072.html

--
mike