Graphics in forked subprocess

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Graphics in forked subprocess
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 21:04:50 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to write a control script for my set of octave scripts which must run simultaneously. I am trying to use fork/exec.

testGui.m:

figure();
while true
  pause(1);
  printf('Paused\n');
endwhile

testFork.m:

ctrlPid = ( @() fork() )();
if ctrlPid == 0
  source('testGui.m');
else
  waitpid(-1);
endif

When running testGui directly from terminal, it shows the figure correctly:

octave testGui.m

But when running testFork, the figure never appears while Paused get printed out - the process testGui.m is clearly running.

octave testFork.m

This problem is under Linux/Ubuntu, older octave 4.2.2. Is perhaps this issue solved by https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53034 in Octave 5.1?

Thanks a lot.

With regards,