Re: Octave 5.1.0 for Win: octaverc file location?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 5.1.0 for Win: octaverc file location?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:04:11 -0700

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 18:01:52 -0500, berntd via Help-octave wrote:
> The location for this file does not match the documentation.
> Documentation states it is in the /share folder but this folder is not
> there.

I see a "share" directory in the two locations you found below.

> I found 2 copies of the octaverc in:
>
> C:\Octave\Octave-5.1.0.0\mingw64\share\octave\site\m\startup
> and
> C:\Octave\Octave-5.1.0.0\mingw64\share\octave\5.1.0\m\startup
>
> Which one should I use / edit to add the open EMS path at startup?

Both of these files are read when Octave starts, and they are documented
as such in https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Startup-Files.html. The
first is intended to be read by any version of Octave, and the second is
intended to be read by version 5.1.0 only. It seems to me that on
Windows this distinction is likely meaningless for most users.

--
mike