US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

From: Brefo, James [USA]
Subject: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:53:35 +0000

Hello,

I am contacting you on behalf of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs with questions regarding ONE of your products/technologies which is being requested by one of our facilities.  Your email address was given as the point of contact, so your help is kindly appreciated.

I am currently researching your product and your company, and would please like some clarification on the following product:

GNU Octave

In order for us to update this technology as soon as possible, it must first be vetted (an analysis of the product must be completed for the One-VA Technical Reference Model (TRM)).

Can you please answer the below questions for the above product and provide any user/installation guides that are available?

Questions are as follows:

1)  Are there any software Components needed for this technology?

i.e Modules and/or applications that cannot be downloaded separately; consisting of utilities that are not standalone, but need the technology to work.

2)  What kind of Licensing is needed, if any?

i.e Is it a commercial license, freeware, open source?

3)  What Operating Systems are supported? Please list server/client.

i.e. OS: AIX, HP-UX, OpenVMS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Solaris, Windows (client), Windows (server), z/OS, OS X, iSO, Android, z/VM, CentOS Linux, Oracle Linux.

4)  Are there any Runtime Dependencies (system requirements)? (software only)

  i.e. A dependency is a technology this is needed by this technology that must be installed separately such as .NET Framework, Microsoft Internet Explorer, MS SQL Server Database, JRE etc.

5)  Are there any Companion Technologies associated with this product?

i.e. Other technologies that are packaged with this product (that can be downloaded and used separately) as well as any technical standard that this product supports (e.g. HTTP, XML, PDF, CSV, TCP/IP, S-HTTP, HL7, DICOM etc.).

6)  What are the Version Numbers and Major Release Dates for this product?

Please include VERSION numbers and associated major RELEASE Dates with Month/Day/Year within the last 3 years.

7) Does this technology store any data, and if so, where does it store data? Is data stored locally as files on the user’s hard drive or in a database? What information/data is stored? Can you please explain the flow of data (i.e. how data is sent to storage) and the database details (i.e. the type of database)? Is data encryption supported? If so, what type of encryption?

8) Where is this technology hosted? On VA premises/VA owned servers? Your data center? Please provide details.

9) Does this technology include cloud-based functionality? If yes, please provide cloud details.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!  Please feel free to reach out to me via e-mail or via my cell at (number), as well.  Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,

--

James Brefo

Senior Consultant | Staff Technologist