Re: how to make "pkg load" automatically load dependencies

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: how to make "pkg load" automatically load dependencies
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 22:23:18 -0700

On 10/10/19 11:24 PM, Qianqian Fang wrote:
Dear list,

I am packaging a few octave toolboxes for Fedora. Some of the toolboxes have a dependency to other toolboxes.

On the rpm package level, I can use *Requires* to ask rpm to install these dependent modules, but when running Octave, the *pkg load* command is not aware of the dependent toolboxes and automatically load them.

I would like to know if pkg is capable of loading dependent toolboxes? if yes, what file I should create to tell pkg such information? for Fedora packaging, the spec file uses the *%octave_pkg_{build,install,preun}* macros to create toolbox packages, I am wondering if adding dependency info is supported by these macros.

thanks

Qianqian

Come over and check out the Packajoozle project, which is building a "next-generation" replacement for the current "pkg" command. In Packajoozle, both package loading and installation will automatically detect and follow dependencies.

https://github.com/apjanke/octave-packajoozle

I don't think the current Octave pkg command supports either of these. The package specification file format supports defining dependencies, and they're validated, but they're not automatically loaded or installed.

Full disclosure: I am the author of Packajoozle.

Cheers,
Andrew