Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 01:41:57 -0500

On 12/31/19 12:52 AM, Benson Muite wrote:

> On 12/31/19 7:18 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> FWIW, I've had decent luck using Discourse with the Mac Homebrew
>> project. I dunno if it'd replace much of the Octave mailing lists, but
>> it would be a nice alternative/complement to the freenode #octave IRC
>> channel, where the discussion is ephemeral, and askers often don't stick
>> around long enough to hear the answer to their question. On Discourse,
>> the question could sit around, and then askers would be notified when
>> there's activity on it.
> Bridges (such as Matterbridge - https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge)
> between IRC and other chat clients (Matrix, Mattermost, Zulip etc) can
> also help with history. Notification mechanisms are very helpful.
They're only useful if the new users who drop in to ask something use
those bridges. I've been using the Matrix IRC bridge for #octave and
it's, well, it doesn't Just Work. You have to deal with maintaining
"registered nick"s and their association with your Matrix account.

Maybe the other chat systems work better with bridges? Dunno if any of
them are Free Software, though.

Cheers,
Andrew