RE: Spreadsheet translation

From: Windhorn, Allen E [ACIM/LSA/MKT]
Subject: RE: Spreadsheet translation
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 19:44:49 +0000

Philip,

Yes.

> If yes, please try another spreadsheet I/O "interface". It looks to me like
> you have no additional SW installed so you fall back to the OCT interface.
> That hasn't received much testing with formula output, so I'm not very
> surprised that large parts of the spreadsheet cell XML are left in place.

Yes, I believe I am using the OCT interface, it was supposed to be best for
Windows.  The file has .xlsm ending but I don't actually know if there are
any macros in it.

> ...Chances are that with additional spreadsheet I/O SW like Apache POI, or,
> if you are on Windows, just the OF windows package and MS-Excel, you'd
> able to extract the formulae in a format more suitable for what you want to
> achieve.

I tried the COM interface:

options.formulas_as_text = 1;
xlh = xlsopen('GENDH_Dissection01.xlsm', 0, 'COM'); % Open read only

Octave complains that Java is installed but unusable.  Java 32 bit JVM is
installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client.  I don't have
admin rights, so can't install any other Java (anyway, if we change the Java
installation it does horrible things to Oracle).  I am on Octave 5.1.0 64 bit
"x86_64-w64-mingw32" on Windows 10.

... OK, it complained, but when I looked, it still produced the correct
formulas, so that's sorted for the time being... I would like to know how
to make Java work though, in case I need it for something else.

I don't know what the "OF windows package" is -- is it different from COM?
And how would I find out more about the other Java packages (assuming I
could get any to work with our Java installation)?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Allen