Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?

From: Salva Ardid
Subject: Re: Latest Octave for Ubuntu?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 12:26:07 -0400

[Not again!!!]

Please see replies below:

> Honestly, I don't want to build everything from source. I've done it before
> and I'd rather avoid it.

I understand, building is flexible, but it's also complex (many options) and
messy with the host system

> Second - I don't want to use another package manager with Ubuntu. I like
> using one so I don't screw up anything. Is it possible to convert from
> flatpack to debian .pkg?

One of the main points of flatpak is not to mess up with the host system. And
it's easy to use once you install flatpak (e.g., from the launchap repo if you
want to be up-to-date)

Note that for Octave devs is much more efficient to maintain one general
package than many for different distros and have to control the conflicts of
libraries of their distro versions

There is no way to convert from flatpak to deb

> Since it's only available for flatpack, I'm guessing there are package
> managers for the various distros? So there isn't one for CentOS or Ubuntu
> or Debian?

Some distros may include Octave in their official repos, but for instance
Ubuntu 18.04 was released on 04/2018 so it has the latest Octave version of
that moment

I totally suggest the flatpak way but feel free to use or not