Re: Uninstall Octave 4.4 & Run Octave 5.2

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Uninstall Octave 4.4 & Run Octave 5.2
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 13:28:12 -0400

On 6/1/20 1:23 PM, John Williams wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Thank you for clarifying that for me.

You're welcome!

> Since my email, my file menu bar has unfrozen (v.4.4), and I have since
> learned to type “octave” in the terminal window to run the new version
> (v.5.2) without a GUI.  I will be interested when the GUI version of v.5.2 is
> available for Mac.

No time soon, I am afraid. The Mac GUI is broken in upstream Octave 5.x,
and efforts to fix it have been slow. We are working on an alternative
terminal-based Octave.app version for 5.x, for the time being.

> Quick follow up question: If I move the Octave 4.4 app to trash, will that
> leave the bulk of the v.4.4 support files taking up space on my hard drive?
> Do I need to find the Octave v.4.4 folder(s) and delete those too?

Nope. Everything for Octave.app, including all support files, is inside
the app bundle you see in /Applications. Delete that, and it's all gone.

> Thanks again!
> John

Cheers,
Andrew