Re: Directory Listing in Octave -- Recursion

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Directory Listing in Octave -- Recursion
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:25:46 -0400

On 6/17/20 12:00 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> On 6/18/20 12:19 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>>

>> On 6/17/20 10:15 AM, Markus Mützel wrote:
>>>
>>> The license agreement of The Mathworks' FileExchange doesn't permit using
>>> those functions (or work derived of them) with other software than their
>>> own.
>>> You should have received a copy of that license when downloading the files
>>> from the FileExchange:
>>>
>>> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>>> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
>>> met:
>>>
>>> * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>>> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>>> * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>>> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
>>> the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>>> * In all cases, the software is, and all modifications and derivatives
>>> of the software shall be, licensed to you solely for use in conjunction
>>> with MathWorks products and service offerings.
>>>

>>> Please, do not distribute such files on the Octave mailing list.
>>>
>>> Markus
>>
>> I'm not sure that this is true any more. MathWorks File Exchange has
>> switched to using the BSD 3-Clause license for all programs posted
>> there. So it may depend on exactly when the file was published.
>>
>> The license for this particular posting appears to be BSD 2-Clause, not
>> the variant license with the "MathWorks productions only" clause.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrew
>>

> @Markus, where did you get this text from, especially the third * looks
> interesting precise?  For me it was not contained in the download.
>
> @Andrew, nevertheless, I think The Mathworks has not changed it's terms
> of use since 2016 .  There they are very explicit about the usage of
> "their" hosted code.
>
> Kai
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Why_can.27t_I_use_code_from_File_Exchange_in_Octave.3F

jwe found that "only witbh MathWorks products" thing for me: It's in
section 2.iii of the Matlab Central Terms of use [1].

Sounds like the site terms of use haven't caught up with the recent File
Exchange migration to BSD licensing. But I'm guessing Kai's right and we
should probably avoid redistributing any File Exchange material here as
long as there's any ambiguity.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1]