Re: Directory Listing in Octave -- Recursion

From: Stefan Pofahl
Subject: Re: Directory Listing in Octave -- Recursion
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 00:10:22 +0200

The same is true for me, I am not a loyer.
Is it clear if the next Octave version will support the '**' notation for dir()?

Am Mi., 17. Juni 2020 um 20:04 Uhr schrieb Markus Mützel <markus.muetzel@gmx.de>:
Am 17. Juni 2020 um 18:25 Uhr schrieb "Andrew Janke":
> On 6/17/20 12:00 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> >> I'm not sure that this is true any more. MathWorks File Exchange has
> >> switched to using the BSD 3-Clause license for all programs posted
> >> there. So it may depend on exactly when the file was published.
> >>
> >> The license for this particular posting appears to be BSD 2-Clause, not
> >> the variant license with the "MathWorks productions only" clause.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Andrew
> >>

> > @Markus, where did you get this text from, especially the third * looks
> > interesting precise?  For me it was not contained in the download.
> >
> > @Andrew, nevertheless, I think The Mathworks has not changed it's terms
> > of use since 2016 .  There they are very explicit about the usage of
> > "their" hosted code.
> >
> > Kai
> >
> > [1]
> > https://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Why_can.27t_I_use_code_from_File_Exchange_in_Octave.3F
> >

> jwe found that "only witbh MathWorks products" thing for me: It's in
> section 2.iii of the Matlab Central Terms of use [1].
>
> Sounds like the site terms of use haven't caught up with the recent File
> Exchange migration to BSD licensing. But I'm guessing Kai's right and we
> should probably avoid redistributing any File Exchange material here as
> long as there's any ambiguity.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> [1]
> https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/termsofuse.html

Thanks for the hint and finding that clause in their terms of use.
I wasn't aware that they changed the license for contributions on the file exchange.

The terms I copied are from here:
https://de.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/71156-getting-started-with-matlab-video-example-files

I was (wrongfully) assuming that the license was the same for all downloads from there.

I am not a lawyer. But given their terms of use, I'd still recommend to not use any work with Octave that is based on their file exchange.

Markus

--
Stefan Pofahl
Zollgasse 5